.

.

Friday, August 10, 2012

What's your Style?


Have you seen the recent decorating shows that try to define a homeowner's style? Apparently, we crave a label, and it is their job to come up with fancy names that tell us who we are, and how we should decorate. I was watching one the other day; after several minutes of very intense questions, the designer declared loudly (with a triumphant flourish) that the style was "Bohemian Classic Traditional with a hint of Asia". Really? What they ended up with was a lovely room, but I am not quite sure if it will ever live up to its rather grand and obscure title.

Maybe we think that it makes decorating easier, and giving it a name helps us know where to begin when we are feeling a little lost. Whatever the reason, I think that style is a very elusive entity, something that can take a lifetime to grow. But, for those days when we just can't wait, there are a few easy ways to figure it all out.

One of the simplest, is to take a look at your favorite clothes and accessories. Write down some words that  truly describe your personal style, and use the exact same words to find items for your home. eg. classic, eclectic, polished, comfortable, modern, simple, bright/shiny, fitted, vintage etc.

Another idea is to look around your home at what you already have; what do you enjoy, and what do you wish you didn't have? Do you prefer easy-to-clean surfaces, copious collections, a large or small television, squishy or straight-backed sofa's, familiar or original art, rustic or modern, carpets, tile, linoleum or hardwood, chandeliers, lamps or recessed lights. Be honest with yourself, keep what you love, and don't worry about what other people may think.

If you're still not sure, take a few moments to think about your ideal home, and how you would want it to feel. This isn't a pipe-dream, and it may not be your current reality, but it will help you to create your own design inspiration.

Of course, how could I write about this without mentioning some of the fun on-line quizzes that will tell you your design style. Here are just a few for you to do ...

http://my.hgtv.com/style-finder/stylefinder.esi
http://www.homegoods.com/hghq_quiz.asp
http://www.furniturefirst.com/furniturefirst/find_style.inc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle! I am classic, and eclectric. Boringly beige AND bright and funky. In my little house, I try to keep things more boringly beige...as I'm so scared of it looking like a garage sale if I don't keep things kinda together...somehow. My reality is I don't like 'colour'for long enough to make the daring purchases. Although, I did just buy a calf hide :O)
Sandra

Wendy Wrzos said...

Hi Sandra, Thanks for commenting! I think we all struggle, which is why I think labels are so misleading. It is like trying to categorize a personality or horoscope - we are all different, and that's what makes us special :-)
Wendy