.

.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finding the "Why?" to get to the "How?"

As most of you know, I have just added a Monthly (email) Magazine Page as an extension of my website and blog. What most of you don't know, was that it almost never happened at all.

My problem began when I knew that I wanted to do one. As soon as I had made that decision, I became stuck. From a logistical point of view, I knew that newsletter programs existed, and that help was always around the corner (thank you, Ladies), but I couldn't figure out how to begin. Every time I sat down, I became more and more confused about what I should be doing. The definition of how it should be done, conflicted with the ideas that were bouncing around in my head. Nothing seemed to click.

At some point, during my dilemma, I was talking to a friend about something great that she had accomplished. When I asked her how she had done it, she said that she had had to figure out the "Why?" before she could move forward - she needed a reason that was meaningful to her.

This got me thinking, did I really know why I wanted to do the newsletter? At that moment "should" was becoming a pretty weak reason for going ahead; let's be honest, no-one wants to read something that was done just because it "should" have been done. The more I thought about what she said, the more it made sense to me. How can you do something, with care and conviction, unless you know why you are doing it?

I decided to really think about why I wanted to do the newsletter. With pencil and paper, I began to write down my reasons for moving forward. As I wrote, my thoughts began to create my decision, and I knew why (and how) I wanted to do the newsletter.

Mostly, we write because we want to share information about things that we are passionate about, but sometimes it's just because we want to share a part of our journey. Whether it is a decorating decision or a heart-wrenching change in your life, maybe it would help to ask "Why?".......

p.s. If you would like to see my Monthly Magazine Page, and subscribe to future ones, the information is on the left hand side of my Blog. 

4 comments:

Beth Frede said...

You're so right, Wendy- the "why" is the driving force behind it all. Your newsletter is lovely, I'm so glad you decided to go ahead with it! Looking forward to seeing all that you create!

Anonymous said...

I think 'why' must have been the first word I ever said. I cant do anything without knowing 'why'. Perhaps that's why I often don't lol. :)
Sandra D

Wendy Wrzos said...

Beth, thank you so much for your support and encouragement!

Wendy Wrzos said...

Sandra,
Thanks for being so honest! Sometimes we can ask too many questions - maybe a declaration of ignorance is better now and again :-)