.

.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Fairy Light Tales

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a slight crush on Nigella Lawson; her cooking style is really similar to mine, and while I will never be as talented as she, I do tend to waltz around the kitchen at all hours, want everything to be delicious, and just know that daydreaming is an under-appreciated art.

One day, I was watching her cook, and I noticed that she had fairy lights around her kitchen window; assuming it must have been filmed during Christmastime, I thought they looked pretty, but didn't think too much about it. The next time I watched, they were there again, and I realized that they weren't just there for special occasions, she had them up year round. It was the first time, apart from being styled in magazines, that I had seen anyone use fairy lights in their everyday life.

It seemed so indulgent and fancy, that it just gave me another reason to like her even more. While I had often thought about buying my own fairy lights, I was never sure where I would put them, and I suspected that they might look a tad silly in my own corner of suburbia; after all, my home isn't featured on television, and I can only ever pretend to be Nigella.

So, I added them to my wish list, and went about my daily life, until a few months ago when a friend and I visited our favorite home and garden shop. When we walked through the door, the sky high room was literally dripping in branches that were covered in teeny, tiny fairy lights. Excruciatingly beautiful copper wires had been delicately wound throughout the shop for miles; we couldn't even see where each one began, all I know is that we couldn't stop smiling. and we decided that we must curl up in a corner and spend the night there.
We never did, but our reluctance to leave was a small price to pay for a few, giddy hours of happiness.

When December came, I had my Christmas tree lights on all day, and I started to wonder how it would be when they were gone. I would miss having the small sparkles appear at the press of a button, but I petulantly told myself that they were only for special occasions, and they would be plugged back in again next year. Besides, who buys fairy lights when there are so many other important (grown-up) things to worry about?

A few days after the tree had been taken down, my friend and I exchanged presents. Inside mine were glorious strings of copper, fairy lights, and the happy, grateful madness began. My inner child took over, preconceived ideas were abandoned, and I immediately put them on the small tree in my living room. Now, whenever I want to, I just press the button, and the room (and my life) feels just a bit more special ....

Thank you, Stephanie!

Sources: Top left: Pinterest Top middle: One Kind Design Top right: We Hang Christmas Lights 
Middle: Tesco Bottom right: Babble Bottom middle: Pinterest Bottom left: Home My Design


2 comments:

Kimberly Merritt said...

You and Nigella could be sisters. I adore her as well... she's got this great soothing voice, and I'm sure her food isn't too bad, either!

My girls have lights in their rooms at home and at college. Every year, when I take down my Christmas lights, I think the same thing. I'm going to find a pretty strand I like to hang in my own bedroom. And I think this year I'm going to splurge on some lights for the porch.

I always enjoy your posts. <3

Wendy Wrzos said...

Thank you, Kim! It is nice to know that you adore her as well (and thank you for the very kind comparison :-)
It is lovely to hear how many people actually do have fairy lights in their homes, and I am not surprised at all that your girls have them.
I came across some really beautiful, almost vintage ones when I was researching, that may look nice in your bedroom or porch.
I will try to find them, and send you the link.

Thank you! Hugs. Wendy