.

.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What's in your Cupboard?


Years ago, I asked a friend for a phone number, and she immediately opened her kitchen cupboard. Inside, was what appeared, to me, to be a giant mess of business cards and notes. Not wanting to be rude (but wondering if she was a little disorganized) I asked why she had them all in her cupboard; I was used to seeing nice, empty wooden doors, not ones littered with phone numbers and pieces of tape. But, when she explained, it was one of those crazy light bulb moments, and I totally understood....

Do you know what actually happens to all those business cards and small notes that we need?
a. Neatly transferred into a notebook (3%).
b. Kept in our wallet (16%).
c. Put on the fridge (25%).
d. Thrown away (7%).
e. Somewhere, until we need them, then we forget where they are (49%).

The inside of our kitchen cupboards is actually found Real Estate; prime space for all sorts of things that we need to remember. With a roll of tape, and a few minutes, you will be more organized than you could ever imagine. Phone numbers and notes will be right where you left them, and all you have to do is change them as needed. No damage to your cabinets, no chalk paint, corkboard or fancy systems, just a roll of tape.
Whether you line them up alphabetically, sort them into categories, or plonk them on higgledy-piggledy (my method of choice), they are always there.

I admit, it takes a few days to get used to the inside cupboard door clutter, but you are the only one who knows it is there.......sweetly hidden, just waiting for you to find your favorite phone number!
                                                               
p.s. No actual surveys were consulted in the writing of this blog (percentages were totally made up).

Photograph from House Beautiful

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what mum does. I guess she doesn't have a smart phone though lol

Wendy Wrzos said...

LOL I did that for her when we were trying to find phone numbers of contractors etc :-)
I don't have a SmartPhone either, but even if I did, would still want it down on pen and paper somewhere (just in case).