.

.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Things that Bling!

Unlike Magpies, I am not attracted to shiny objects. If I buy something new for my house, the next day you will find me sanding or painting it, trying to make it look older than it is. I am the same with clothing, rebelling against beads or sequins, no matter how appropriate they may be for the occasion. Even jewelry; preferring vintage to modern, I will always let my silver tarnish, and I would rather wear glass beads than diamonds (really!).

As a decorator, I worried that this would be one of my challenges; something that I have to work at, because it goes against my personal style. But, oddly enough, what I realized was that every home, regardless of its style, needs a little sparkle. How you decide to add the sparkle is up to you. It doesn’t have to be a chandelier dripping in jewels (although I think I have fallen in love with the one in the picture), it can be something as simple as a glass bowl filled with apples or a pretty, ceramic vase on a shelf.

A window, perhaps, could be the easiest solution; even if they aren’t clean, open the curtains and let the glass be part of the decoration. Anything that transfers light around a room will work. Hang mirrors or necklaces in unexpected places for a pretty, practical type of energy.

A little shine makes all the difference. It becomes the vehicle for light to reflect and bounce around a room. Without it, a home could appear dull, bogged down by its opaqueness.

So, even if you are like me, and hesitate to use things that “bling”, be cautious, but add some anyway – you just might fall in love!

Many thanks to Erickson Beamon for his fabulous Glam Rock Chandelier image!

2 comments:

Beth Frede said...

Wendy, you're the best- easy to see why your clients love you. You're down to earth and recognize who you are, and therefore can recognize who your clients are too because you're not busy trying to change them by force, but you help people to see what's possible. Great post, as always.

Wendy Wrzos said...

Beth, thank you so much! You really made my day with your kind comments!