.

.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Elvis, Martha and a Notepad




Years ago, I would have given Martha Stewart a run for her money. My Christmas was signed, sealed and on it's way by the end of October. Now, not so much. Like many of you, it is December 2nd and I am scrambling to put together a holiday that is filled with friends, food, presents, Christmas cards, a tree, decorations, and, oh yes, peace and joy!

So, I admit I am a little behind (and I will never be Martha again) but I do have a plan. As always, it begins with a cup of tea and a notepad, the rest is easy....

  • Holiday CD blasting (Elvis, of course).
  • A list of absolutely everything that is spinning in my head; from paying the electric bill, to ordering that orange thing that I have never even heard of.
  • Prioritize the list. (If I don't pay the electric bill the other things won't really matter).
  • Put as many things as I can onto my calendar, and out of my head. (eg. Bake cookies on December 14th, call Auntie B, mail off Christmas presents etc).
  • Make another list of who I want to buy presents for (with ideas of what I would like to get them).
  • Divide the list into on-line purchases, and in-shop. Try my hardest to consolidate, so I am not running all over the place, and paying seven separate shipping fees. (Look for coupons and specials on-line).
  • Think of a budget (this will disappear very quickly, but it always makes me feel better in the beginning).
  • Eat a cookie, and heat up my tea.
  • Put Blake Shelton's CD on, then switch to Aretha Franklin. Go back to Elvis.
  • Decide on a definite day, or two (or three) to get all of this done.
  • Plan where I will go for lunch, or an extra-nice coffee, in between my shopping.
  • Remind myself to be flexible, and expect things to change. (If I can't buy it, find it, afford it, or order it, I'll come up with another idea).
Maybe you write lists as well, or perhaps this is still too early for you to be thinking about it; whatever you do, I would love to hear your thoughts on prepping for the holidays. Leave a comment, or post directly to my Wendy at the Blue Giraffe Facebook page.             


p.s. Am hoping neither Blake or Aretha were offended during the writing of this blog :-)

No comments: