.

.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Decorating with Books


I don't read as much as I should (or that I think I should) and I am more inclined to curl up with a magazine or cookery book on a Sunday afternoon, but I still can't imagine my life without books.
To see a book is to imagine something other than ourselves at that very moment, and to open one up invites us to stop whatever we are doing, and wonder about what may or may not be inside.


Books add an inexplicable warmth to every room, and are one of the most hard-working accessories you will ever have.

Whether you artfully stack your used books in a fireplace, or proudly display a rare edition of something old and precious, the only rule is that you shouldn't pretend. Please don't decorate with books that you have no interest in, because we will know. We will know that they are different from you, and we will see that they are not well loved. (We might even quietly nudge you into the land of pretentiousness, where no-one truly wants to be).

Show us your books because they have meaning, were your favorite read last year, or simply because you enjoy looking at them.


Even if you don't like to read, take another look, and let the promise of pictures and words gently fill the gaps in your home with life, style and curiosity.



No comments: