.

.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Memory Dance


I was watching the Rachel Ray show the other day, where uber Organizer, Peter Walsh, was talking to Regis Philbin about how to declutter his memorabilia room. Regis, a collector and a celebrity, is the recipient of so many awards and accolades, and had an entire room filled with wonderful memories; everything from autographed football helmets to vintage posters and designer clothing. But, for all his celebrity status, he was just like us, and his biggest fear was that Peter was going to see it as "too much stuff", and tell him to get rid of it.

But he didn't, because it wasn't about value, or taking up too much space, it was about memories, and I loved seeing the relief on Regis' face when he was told that everything could stay (but it just needed to be a little more organized). Nothing was going to be thrown away.

This was Peter's philosophy...


I have paraphrased what he said, but Peter is right; if something is that important (or sentimental) that you want to keep it, then give it meaning, and put it away safely, or display it well, and, most importantly, have it accessible...... Be able to find it. If you can't find it, or see it, is it really that important?

Watching the show reminded me that I will always be a sentimental clutterer, and I don't have to force myself to live in a spartan house or get rid of things that seem too old, all I have to do is honor my memories, visit them often, and use them to feed and nourish my happiness ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are not sure about something, photograph it, then you will find it much easier to let it go.

Wendy Wrzos said...

This is such a great idea!
(I have known people who have stored things away, reluctant to get rid of them, then later on they find that they have deteriorated beyond salvation - a photograph would have saved them).

Thank you so much for reading!

- Wendy