.

.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Stuck on Design



"I am so annoying; I sometimes give myself a headache". This is one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite people in the whole world (the same person who also told me to never, ever write about her in my blog). So, I won't, but I love what she said, and it makes me laugh when I find my brain wheels spinning in pointless details.

Decorating is one of those things that we probably shouldn't over-think, and usually, our first instinct is right; what we like, is plain for us to see, and if we hesitate, it's best to leave it alone. So why do we think so much?

For me, I will not hesitate to do something in my own home, but with a client's, I want them to adore everything about it, and my perfection kicks into overdrive. I don't want their home to be perfect, but I want it to be perfect for them; I think, if I could, I would move in with them, and do all the work myself, just to see the smile on their face!

The comments I hear the most often are, "Why didn't I do this ages ago?" and "I can't believe the difference it made". The answer is simple, it's the same reason that my desk looks like a dog's dinner this morning; I feel short on time, and I imagine it will take me hours to tidy it up properly, but really, if I spent more time doing than imagining, it would be done by now.

We all get stuck, either because we are aiming for perfection, or because we don't know where to start, so here are some ways to get you unstuck.
  • Forget about waiting for the perfect time to begin (it doesn't exist).   
  • Think of something (anything) that you can do now, by yourself, quickly and easily. Crossing things off a list is the best motivation.
  • Do try to do as much research (and measuring) as you can before you make an expensive, important, or gigantic purchase.
  • If you're truly stuck, ask for someone else's opinion. You don't have to take it, but they might give you other ideas that you hadn't thought of.
  • Plan your time if you have to, but, if you don't want to plan the time, accept that it won't get done.
  • Be realistic, and let the worst (and best) case scenario guide you. e.g. If I don't remove the Anteater from my Living Room soon, it might change the channel on the television.

In the world of design and desks, we often imagine their importance to be far more than they really are, so make a plan, take care of a few things, and don't give yourself a headache.....


Photograph from: http://www.varrell.com/fascinating-stylish-scandinavian-living-space-entertainment-arrangement-ideas/stylish-living-room-entertainment-arrangement-ideas-in-scandinavian-image-13-anteater-tech-in-the-cozy-living-room-design/

No comments: