.

.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

To Dream of Outdoors is a Wonderful Thing

It's barely Spring here in New Jersey, and I am itching to get outside. The ground is still muddy, and the garden still seems so undefined. A mixture of gray and green, Winter is reluctantly giving up control of its  cranky gloom, appearing to hold onto us longer every year. I hope, that soon, the daffodils will be flowering. Never a big fan of yellow, I now crave the clear brightness of them, deliriously happy when I can finally pick some and bring them inside. Every day I look at them, knowing that they will be here soon. They remind me of my Grandad's garden, in England, I don't know why...

As the clouds grow darker outside, my mind wanders to the subject of patio spaces and outdoor rooms. My ideal would be a cobbled patio with moss and thyme sprinkled in between the stones (no weeds). A few chairs facing a round picnic table, and a big fire pit off to the side. We would toast marshmallows and hot-dogs on sticks, late at night, staying warm with checkered blankets and oversized sweaters. Perhaps an old fashioned, charcoal BBQ would look pretty; the men would curse at the inefficiency of it all, as the women relaxed, sipping wine and waiting for the food that will take hours to cook. (Yes, I know that is sexist, but, well, that's how it usually works if we are honest - and lucky :-)

My table would have the biggest market umbrella standing over it. 10 or 12 foot wide, so that no one has to scrunch to fit underneath. It would be a lovely persimmon color, not quite orange or red, but somewhere nicely in between. Or, I may get all sophisticated and choose black, perhaps with lime green peeking from underneath...

Giant games would be scattered on the lawn, and a hammock would lie in a quiet spot.

The trees would be covered in thousands of white, mini Christmas tree lights and large, colorful paper lanterns would hang inbetween. An extravagant candle chandelier (well, maybe one from Ikea) would be hung from the biggest tree. Underneath, there would be chairs and sofas, sitting on an outdoor rug, making it the perfect place to relax and talk (or, take a nap).

So, as my dream continues, I look outside. It is still raining. The picnic table (that I found on the side of the road) needs painting, and the dog has worn a muddy track all through the moss garden. My umbrella was enjoyed by the hungry mice, living in the garage, and my potting table is starting to show loving signs of wear and rot.

Don't worry, I'm not delusional, this is what I do. Each year I plan and fix and wonder about all the amazing things I will do. Rarely are they accomplished, but that is not what I need. I love the planning, the wondering and the creating. Not worrying about the mice needing a Winters snack, I am glad at the excuse to re-cover (or attempt to) the umbrella with a new fabric. The table I can paint, or seal with a wood sealant, and the rest will gradually take care of itself. For me, it is the process that keeps me motivated. The dreaming and the planning.....

And, yes, of course I will buy the candle chandelier (from Ikea, at $29.99 who can resist?), and I will find the perfect tree to hang it from.

Thanks to http://www.housetohome.co.uk/ for the lovely photograph and Ikea for my chandelier http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70018049

6 comments:

Kimberly Merritt said...

I am so there Wendy. I can feel the warm breeze blow through my hair. The wine is crisp, and clean. The smell of smoke meets my nose with a tickle. Oh... I am so there.

outdoor firepits said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. this blog have nice information about furniture. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy Wrzos said...

Kim, so glad you could come and visit! More wine?....

Kimberly Merritt said...

Yes, please. :o)

twinbeech said...

Wendy, it is so amazing that you mentioned about moss. I like moss, not in lawn but in on or in-between stones or bricks. I have brick covered area in the front yard, and moos are growing on the surface and between them. I like that old look and I thought everyone else too. Last weekend, a realtor came to eveluae my house (you know). He said to clean up the moss on the bricks. I said no, I like it the way it is. He look at me with disbelief, and told me they are ugly. I don't know but is that only you and me who likes moss?

Wendy Wrzos said...

Thanks Eiko, I really do love moss too! As long as it's not slippery, but really it gives such character and substance to a garden. Moss between bricks is classic and, it looks perfect in your front garden area! I wouldn't change it, it would look to "new" and not in keeping with your lovely home at all!